Guy Kawasaki writes about my dad in his new marketing book, Enchantment

March 9, 2011 · 12 comments

cover of Guy Kawasaki's book, Enchantment

Yesterday, Guy Kawasaki’s latest book, Enchantment, The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions, hit shelves. I was thrilled to discover he included the story about how my dad helped me get my print shop off the ground.

There’s not much to say about this little sales and marketing book, except that it’s different than the others. Bookshelves are often filled with super-theoretical books, promising you will become an expert just by reading those books. In the end, most of them are totally useless.

Guy’s book is filled with practical tips and handy lists that allow you to see the content of a chapter at a glance. There’s no need to think about how to apply what’s written in the book to real life because the author already tells you how, in a very direct, precise way. There’s no waste of pages or time here. A few things will seem sorta commonsensical, but this is a very innovative book because of the manner in which it explains how to actually implement real life changes that will make your printing firm “enchanting” to customers.

If you want fast results and some fresh marketing ideas from an expert in the field, read this book. Keep it on your desktop for awhile. You will soon realize just how often you can apply what’s written in it in your real life.

Guy Kawasaki and I are not best buds or anything even close. But I do feel like I’ve gotten to know him a little, and he’s the real deal. Smart, creative, and a good teacher. This is Dale Carnegie’s How to Win Friends and Influence People for the Twitter generation, with advice on how to smile; how to craft effective Facebook posts, tweets, and sales messages; and most of all, how to earn the trust necessary to achieve lasting enchantment.

Each chapter also ends with someone telling their own personal story of a moment when they were enchanted. Guy wrote about my dad in chapter four, “How to Prepare.” Here is an excerpt from the book that you might enjoy.

excerpt from Guy Kawasaki's book, Enchantment

I loved my dad very much, and it was an honor to share his story in this terrific book.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Kim March 1, 2012 at 9:33 am

Dear Mike,

Thank you for sharing your story, it brought tears to my eyes–but reading the ending: “He probably planned it that way. After all, his job was finally complete” made me smile. I trust you will continue your father’s Legacy. It’s a shame California is so far away from North Dakota.

Best,

Kim

Mike Stevens March 2, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Hi Kim, thank you for the kind thoughts -mike

Michael Tarpinian March 11, 2011 at 11:49 am

While at an NAQP trade show many years ago, I went up to Mike’s booth. It was my plan to finally meet Mike. He was off somewhere else doing business. But I was fortunate to meet Jerry. We talked for ten or fifteen minutes.

I lost count of how many times he said “my son.” It was so kind and endearing. He seemed especially proud of Mike’s recently published book.

Scott Cappel March 10, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Mike, having your father’s wisdom in your life was a blessing,
and having you in our lives is as well.

Scott

Tony Tedeschi March 10, 2011 at 5:06 am

Dear Mike:

I’ve been a customer for a number of years as well as a follower of your writings. One of my favorite things that you wrote was about creating your own luck many years ago. It still sits next to my desk with a few additions/changes.

Your blog has been exceptional so far. The best in our industry.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Regards,
TT

David Doost March 9, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Mike,
Thanks for the inspiration. Now I know where you get your kindness and generosity from. . I am glad that many others outside the print industry will now know a little about you and your amazing father.
The lessons your dad taught are now being taught by you.
I am 100% positive that he is just as proud of you as you are of him.

Rich Lamkin March 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Mike,
I reflect back when I met your dad for the first time at a NAQP convention in Washington,DC. You might have thought I was part of your family. After a brief 10 minutes of talking shop he said ” lets get a cup of coffee.” The next 45 minutes were spent encouraging me in my print shop and sharing ideas on how to overcome what I saw as mountains that he knew were just bumps in the road. He was truly interested in helping others with a spirit that I will never forget.

Jim David March 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Great story Mike. Look forward to picking up Guy’s book.

Dave Hornung March 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Mike … I enjoyed your Dad’s company every time I met him … I know you miss him … I want you to know that he made his mark not only in the way that propelled your success but also in the way that he liked and loved what he did. That is the mark of a true person of character … your Dad was a true character …

Dave

Jody P. March 9, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Great story Mike!
Your dad is the reason we use your marketing materials today. He stopped in to see us many years ago…

Congratulations!

Jody Phillips

Mark McKenzie March 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Mike,

What a terrific experience and what a great asset fathers can be.

I remember just dropping in unannounced in the summer of 1987 while visiting my future wife’s family. There past the walk of fame at the front counter was your father with a warm greeting and a smile. You were very busy and on your way out to an appointment but still took a little time to talk. Then your father took the time to make me feel like I was the second most important printer in Fargo that day. He gave me a shop tour, shows me your supply cage and explained how it helps your operation stay efficient and manage inventory. I was always amazed at your operation and efficiencies and was even a little envious. Every summer after that when we visited Fargo I made it a point to visit mostly unannounced and I was always welcomed and your father and great staff were a big part of that.

I enjoyed the article and thank you for sharing such great memories.

Mike Stevens March 9, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Hi Mark, geez, the time does pass quickly, but I have very pleasant memories of your visits to Fargo. (we don’t get many visitors ‘up north’ ). You’ll have to come back sometime…

Thank you for sharing your kind memories about my Dad… you brought back some happy recollections for me too!

-mike