The Worker’s Prayer

framed copies of The Worker's Prayer by Mike Stevens

April 22, 2011 · 19 comments

About 10 years ago, I was driving “overnight” from Fargo, North Dakota, to Helena, Montana. My two daughters were babies at the time, and we were on the way to visit Grandma. I had this bright idea to drive all night long because it would be ‘easier’ on the girls, who could sleep in the back of the van. It turned out my good idea was actually a pretty dumb idea. The girls didn’t sleep very well, and the drive soon became torturous for all of us. You’ve probably never been on that stretch of road. It is very sparsely populated, lonely, and… very dark. It is often possible to drive for miles and miles without even seeing a light anywhere. It’s hard to stay awake out there. We were all tired and cranky.

Then a small miracle happened. We were out in the middle of nowhere at about 2 AM, when much to my amazement, I saw the lights to a little Holiday Inn Express motel at the next exit on the interstate. We pulled in and booked the last room available. I was really glad to be there. After the girls fell asleep, I noticed something in the room that I’ve never seen in a hotel before. Sitting on the counter top was this simple little picture frame containing an inspirational message entitled “A Prayer for our Guests.” As I read it, I remember thinking how comforting it was after the stressful drive I had just experienced.

In the days ahead, I thought about that prayer more than once. I thought about my own business and wished I had something like that for my printing firm.

When I couldn’t find a “business prayer” or a “printer’s prayer,” I decided to write one myself. It’s called “The Worker’s Prayer,” and I made it available to all of my employees — on a voluntary basis — who wanted a copy. I had it typeset and designed so it would fit in a standard 4″ x 6″ picture frame. We printed “The Worker’s Prayer” on parchment paper and framed it in about a dozen different styles and colors of picture frames to give to our coworkers. It really didn’t cost much, but it looks really nice. Many of my employees have taken the time to personally thank me for the little gift that they have for their desktop or office.

Since this is the Easter weekend, I thought it might be an appropriate time to share “The Worker’s Prayer” with you. If you would like to use “The Worker’s Prayer,” I am providing a link for artwork. Like all ideas presented on Gutenblog, this artwork is offered to you copyright free and without cost:

The Worker’s Prayer

Lord, I thank you for this job and
the blessings it provides.
May you watch over me this day
and keep me safe from harm.
Create in me a willing spirit
and happy heart.
Grant me the ambition to work hard
and give me the strength to finish
what I have started.
May my hands always be prepared
to help lighten another’s load.
And finally, Lord, remind me that
the quality of my work is a reflection
of you to those around me.

Amen.

I wish you all a happy Easter!

Here are links to download camera-ready artwork to fit a 4″ x 6″ picture frame:

The Worker’s Prayer (pdf) – parchment background
The Worker’s Prayer (pdf) – no background

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Dallas Maids September 6, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Mike, thank you for The Worker’s Prayer!!

We wrote about our office blessing today on our site and wanted to find a prayer that would be wonderful for our employees. This prayer is beautiful so I’ve added it to our maid service site with a credit link to you.. http://www.dallasmaids.com/blog/an-office-blessing/

From all of us here at Dallas Maids,

God bless!

Holli April 18, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Happy Easter!

Thank you sooo much for sharing this as I was looking for a prayer for my friend that just got a new job. This is nice and simple. A beautiful prayer!!!

God Bless you and yours!!

Hilli Rollins– Pittsburgh PA

Charles Morland January 20, 2014 at 6:31 am

I think that this prayer is so Fantastic and True to the Heart… We all work with our hands at one time or Another..NB! Especially tradesmen, like myself, I’m a Sheet metal worker. I work for myself …

It’s true what the prayer says … about being a reflection of Christ to those Around me…

Example… Not everyone will have the Time to Recognize or praise you. This guy walked passed me and I Noticed he wanted to talk to me.The next day he passed by me again, and then, he came back over to me and Said… “What a great job you are doing”…He added “It’s Very Seldom you see someone taking pride in what they do.” I was really Moved…. Charles Morland

Mike Stevens January 20, 2014 at 11:18 am

Thank you for sharing Charles, you thoughts were an inspiring reminder that a positive word of encouragement spoken to another can have a huge impact on another persons life.

Teresa Boyce January 17, 2014 at 9:45 am

Thanks for allowing me to use this beautiful prayer. I work for a nonprofit organization that provides housing to homeless families. Our staff is incredibly dedicated and today is our annual party. Your prayer is a perfect way to remind us the work we do is important.

Greg Larsh December 12, 2012 at 4:25 am

Thank you for your prayer.

geneveve August 17, 2012 at 2:52 am

Nice prayer, I’m going to print one,
and keep it in my wallet!

Debra August 4, 2012 at 9:56 pm

This is a beautiful prayer. I will post this in my office for all to see. It is a great testimony of Faith and Encouragement.

Ivan June 18, 2012 at 5:06 am

Never have I felt so pressured with my current job . . .
Just in time I needed a prayer to still give my best with what is left with my work though it seems like there is no hope to better the current situation . . .
My heart felt grattitude to God and to the heart who compose this prayer . . .

Alissa December 16, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Thank you. I was looking for a blessing for a company dinner this evening, and I knew I had found it when your prayer brought me tears.

Mike Stevens April 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Your words are a source of encouragement to me, and I am grateful for your friendship.

-mike

George Croft April 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Another gift…

George

Tony Tedeschi April 22, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Thank you, Mike. Another gem!
Happy Easter.

Regards,
TT

Roger Jackson April 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Thank you Mike and God Bless!!

Roger

Bert McCaffrey April 22, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Thanks Mike, that is awesome!

Nicole Celeste April 22, 2011 at 2:04 pm

How appropriate indeed! Thank you for your inspiration.

Michael Farag April 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Mike,

Thank you! I just posted it on my face book page. It is a blessing.

David April 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm

That is an excellent idea! I will share with you something similar that my Grandfather had in his office. I have one in mine now because I love it so much. It is a poem by John Hall called At Day’s End.

At Day’s End

Is anybody happier because you passed his way?

Does anyone remember that you spoke to him today?

The day is almost over, and its toiling time is through,

Is there anyone to utter now a kindly word of you?

Can you say tonight, in parting with the day that’s slipping fast,

That you helped a single brother of the many that you passed?

Is a single heart rejoicing over what you did or said;

Does the man whose hopes were fading, now with courage look ahead?

Did you waste the day, or lose it? Was it well or sorely spent?

Did you leave a trail of kindness, or a scar of discontent?

As you close your eyes in slumber, do you think that God will say,

“You have earned one more tomorrow by the work you did today”?
-John Hall

Barb Vreugdenhil September 8, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I have had that prayer for years and find it very inspiring. It is hanging in my Moms room in a nursing home in Guelph Ontario. I pray those words will encourage the staff in the home to be very kind and caring to my mother and all the other elderly people when we can’t be with them ourselves

Previous post: